Julia S. Blog: Bluefish: Week of 2/17/14

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bluefish: Week of 2/17/14

Pages: 1-23
Prompt: Give a general summary of what's going on. What are some of your thoughts on what you've just read?

     So far, this book "Bluefish" has interested me very much, and I've only read about 20 pages! The book is narrated by an actual narrator, unlike most books I've read, and the beginning of the book starts in a school setting. It's so far been about a boy named Travis, who is starting 8th grade. On the first day of school, a boy's shoe had come off, and Travis had picked it up, seeing that the boy had been bullied before his shoe came off. He went to classes regularly, until he felt he just couldn't take the stress that the first day of school had brought. So, he left. He had run away from school many times before, but he had almost always been caught, but this time he didn't. Though, his Grandfather did end up driving past him, and brought him home. His Grandfather was a kind man, though smoked tons of cigarettes a day, and was an alcoholic, though he had been alcoholic free for about 30 days. Travis didn't like this, but his Grandfather was the only person he had. He continued on with school, and made a new friend named Velveeta. She was very bubbly, fun, and extremely talkative. Pretty much the opposite of quiet, reserved, Travis. So, it's kind of hard to believe that they became friends.Velveeta really liked Travis, and the main reason why this was, was because she saw him give the boy his shoe back the day he was getting bullied, and knew he was a kind hearted person. 


     Though, like Travis, Velveeta had some problems of her own. In the book, there are little letters/journal entries that Velveeta had wrote, intended for her father to read. Though, her father couldn't actually read them because he had died. I'm not 100% sure of the situation Velveeta was in, but it sounds like at home (well, in her dad's trailer) she kind of isolates herself from the world, thinking, writing, dreaming, but definitely not doing homework! Though, she makes it seem like she lives on her own in her dad's trailer, she actually mentions her mom, and how they watched movies together one night, and played games another. So, I'm not sure if she's on her own, or if she actually lives in a house, or if she actually has a mom living with her, or what. So, from the story so far, you can clearly see that Velveeta and Travis have more difficult, and sad lifestyles, and they're not as lucky as people with two parents, and a normal house. So, that's basically what has happened so far.

     From reading what I have so far, I can already that this story is going to be a bit emotional. From Travis living with only his Grandfather who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, who is an alcoholic, with no signs of parents, and Velveeta basically raising herself in a trailer, (or so it seems) with possibly a mother, possibly not, and a father who has just died, is already enough to find out in the first 23 pages. What happens when I learn why everything is like that? I think I am going to feel even worse for Travis and Velveeta than I already do right now. t makes me so sad to think about their situation, and how I could possibly end up like that, with no parents, or living in a trailer. I would be miserable, and I imagine they are too! I also am a bit confused, like I already mentioned, with Velveeta's situation. Does she actually have a mother who takes care of her? Does she live in a trailer? Does she have someone to come home to after school? Does she feel loved? And what about Travis? What happened to his parents? Why is he always running away from school? Is heokay with living with his grandfather, smoking, and drinking? This story has been so interesting, yet a bit sad so far, and I'm excited to read more (I mean, I've barely started!) So, that's basically what has happened so far, and some thoughts I've had on the story so far.

10 comments:

  1. Blue fish does sound like a very good book, and with only 20 pages read I think you've done a good job describing it. Is the father like the Grandpa, a smoker and alcoholic? Or have you found out how he even died yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a good job writing your blog about Bluefish because it almost looks like you're trying to persuade people to read this book. I kind of feel bad for the main character because he has to live with a smoker and an alcoholic. I liked the certain books where a bunch of events happen in a couple of pages. For example your book had a lot of events in a couple of pages. Thanks for the Recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really good! You wrote your blog really well, and you used good details to explain your prompt. You sound like you are really enjoying the book! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you described the book really makes me want to read it! Good job of writing the summary. It was also really cool how you put a survey. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wrote a great summary of this book and you just started it! In my opinion, it's a bit confusing but anyway, I hope you enjoy reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Blog! I thought that you did a great job summarizing the book and I think it actually sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book does seem pretty interesting! It amazes me that so much could be unraveled or shown in only about 20 pages of the book so far. If that much has happened so far, I'm thinking that so much more interesting or sad things will happen in the rest of the book! Your description has made me want to read it, so maybe after I finish my current book, I'll give this book a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm about to start reading this book. I like all the questions you ask in your last paragraph; it really gets me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I commented on:
    Gabe's Blog
    Nik's Blog
    Marisa's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you reading this for Battle of the Books? I have seen several people read it. In my opinion, I have not yet read the book, Travis and his grandfather have a rather interesting relationship, yet in a way it works. It seems that despite their awkward relationship they care for one another, somehow.

    ReplyDelete