Julia S. Blog: Divergent: Week of 9/30/13

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Divergent: Week of 9/30/13

                                     SPOILER ALERT!
Pages: 1-76
Prompt: What is the title of what you are reading? How does it fit the story?

     
     My prompt this week is "What is the title of what you're reading, and how does it fit the story?" Well, I actually think the title fits the story I am reading really well. The title of the book I'm reading is Divergent,  and divergent means "tending to be different, or develop in different directions." The main way that divergent fits the story, at the moment, is through the main character, Tris. Though, since I'm only near the beginning of the  book, I don't know if divergent fits the story in any other ways as well.

     Divergent is set in Chicago in the future, and instead of suburbs, people live in factions. These include Erudite (intelligent), Dauntless (brave), Abnegation (selfless), Amity (peaceful), and Candor (honest). Tris lived in Abnegation, but once you get to a certain age you can switch factions, based on a test you take. This test shows which faction you might belong in, based on your actions. This is the first way divergent fits into the story. When Tris takes the test, there is not one clear faction she may belong in, but a few that she could possibly fit into. Because of this, Tris is considered divergent, she is developing in a different path than most people her age, and most people in general.

     Tris is considered divergent in many other ways as well. For one, when she is still living in Abnegation, the faction known for its selfless citizens, she doesn't instantly think of doing the right, selfless thing to do. She feels that she doesn't always think before she says things, and sometimes accidentally breaks Abnegation rules. She feels her family always seems to do everything selflessly and correctly, and that she is an outcast compared to her family, which also shows she is divergent. She definitely tends to be different than her family, as well as most abnegation members. 

     Another way I feel that Tris is considered divergent is when she switches from the Abnegation faction to the Dauntless faction, she does something pretty crazy. When she is on the roof of a high building, with other new Dauntless initiates, she is the first to jump off the building. She jumps into a hole in the ground at the bottom. She has no clue what's waiting for her at the bottom, nor has she ever done this before. She feels she needs to prove she is brave, so she jumps first. This shows she is divergent because she takes a different path than everyone else by jumping first. She wants to try to convince people that she can be brave enough to actually accomplish the jump. She's also trying to be different (divergent) by showing everyone, that even though she came from a different faction, she was still meant to be Dauntless. So as you can see, the title Divergent fits the story very well, especially and specifically through the main character Tris.

     



     

2 comments:

  1. Julia,
    To be honest this actually really makes me want to read this book. Just by reading a little bit of what the book is about really got me to the point where I could say that I would put this book on my reading list. The way you describe Tris or thinks how she is crazy at some point because of something she did, gives me a good description of her and if I read this book in the future, I will top notch idea of what I would be reading. Well thanks for motivating me to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia I totally agree! When I first read this I thought Divergent was a good name for it ,too. I think whats really cool is the Dauntless initiation because of all the training they have to go through. If I was in a faction I think I would be in Dauntless. What about you?

    ReplyDelete