Julia S. Blog: Divergent: Week of 10/7/13

Monday, October 14, 2013

Divergent: Week of 10/7/13


Pages: 76-105
Prompt: Describe the main characters.

     The first main character I'm going to describe is Tris (originally named Beatrice). Tris doesn't exactly know where she is going in life. She doesn't really know who she wants to be. She thinks that maybe now that she's in the faction Dauntless, that she will try and start fresh, become someone new. Though, she doesn't know who she is going to be. She wants to try and be daring, and show that she is brave. She also wants to be caring and compassionate, when she knows that it's needed. Coming from Abnegation, there are many times where she comes back to being selfless, knowing that she must do the right thing. Though does she want to do the right thing, if she knows it may hurt her in the end? You can describe Tris as very lost at this point in the story. She isn't sure who she really is. I think she needs to stay true to herself. She has shown              she can be brave, and has proven to be very caring towards others, so she is a very good person in general, but she just doesn't know where she belongs yet. So, that is how I would describe Tris.

     Another main character I'm going to describe is Christina. Because she is from Candor (honest), she feels free to be blunt and completely honest, not sugarcoating anything and saying exactly what's on her mind. Christina can also be very tough and doesn't care about what other people think of her. Christina is one of Tris's best friends, and Tris considers Christina to be a great friend and very brave. I agree that Christina is very brave, especially when facing the challenge that I just read about. To prove she was not a coward she had to hang from a railing over a river for five minutes, after she had just been brutally beaten by an opponent in a fight. The water splashed her back so many times, and her hands were continually getting wet, and slipping, but she held on. She was brave enough to go through that, and actually make it through. I would describe her as brave, anyone who has to got through something like that is brave. So, that is how I would describe Christina.

     The last main character I will be describing hasn't been brought up in the story lately, but I feel it's important that I describe him. So, the last person I will be describing will be Caleb, Tris's brother. For years Caleb proved to be a true Abnegation. He was extremely selfless, and always did everything he could to help others. It seemed as if he didn't even need to think about it. Though when he switched Factions to Erudite, he seemed almost rebellious. He had done so much good, and was such a selfless person, that no one would've ever expected him to choose a new Faction, I know I certainly didn't. He was very smart though, how would he be able to make all of the right decisions otherwise? I would also describe him as being near perfect. He made all of the right choices, though some people may argue that he made the right choices up until the choosing ceremony, and he was very thoughtful of his and others decisions. You could also describe him as being quite charming. He was so sweet, and always seemed to know the right words to say. Though, after he switched Factions, some of his character traits changed. He no longer seemed selfless, because he left his family, and his true home. So, that is how I would describe Caleb.


3 comments:

  1. This blog was great you described the characters so well that I could imagine that they were talking to me. I have been looking for this book and have been wanting to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, I'm glad your reading such a good book. I can not wait until you read Insurgent, and five more day until Allegiant, the third book in the series, comes out! I hope you enjoy the book, and love the blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, you did a really good job with characterization in this blog. You backed up your opinion on the characters as well. I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete