Julia S. Blog: Divergent: Week of 10/21/13

Friday, October 25, 2013

Divergent: Week of 10/21/13

Pages 157-177
Prompt: Who is your favorite character, and why?

     Though she doesn't always make the right decision, or make the best choices, I would have to say that my favorite character in the book right now is Tris. I say this for many reason. First of all, she stands up for what she believes in, and she is not afraid to speak her mind. She feels the pain of others when she watches them suffer, and feels that it's one of her duties to help them. Like in this last chapter I read. The initiates were beginning to learn how to throw knives and hit a target. One boy was being particularly slow when going back to pick up his knives. So Eric, told him he needed to trust the other initiates not to hit him, and he had him stand right under the target. Four, was going to throw knives at the target above, and if he didn't flinch, then he could continue initiation. The look of terror in his eyes made everyone feel bad for him, and eventually, Tris stood up and spoke her mind, that's for sure. She told Eric and Four that this was cruelty, and how it wasn't fair that they were making that poor boy do it, so they told her if she wanted, she could take his place, and she did. This not only shows why I feel that she stands up for what she believes in, but it also shows that she truly cares about others.

     Another thing that makes Tris my favorite character is her bravery. On the first day she came to the Dauntless, she wanted to prove herself. So she was the first to jump off of the top of a building, and into a hole, that looked dark and deep from what they could see. Tris had never done, nor thought about doing this before, but she needed to do it. Tris wanted to prove her bravery, so she jumped first. She could've died that day. If she would've missed the hole, or if the hole was actually a trick, and she wouldn't survive if she landed in it she could die, but no matter that. Tris wanted to show she was brave, and by doing that, I believe she was brave! She could've stood there timidly, and she could've acted timidly in the part of the story I told you about in the previous paragraph, but she didn't. She was brave, and at the beginning of initiation when she actually jumped, she was more respected than ever.

     One last thing that makes Tris my favorite character is, that she doesn't really know who she is in life yet. I like this about her because, I don't think the people (different personalities/ different lifestyles) she's been trying to be so far, are a good person to be. She's been trying to be brave, but sometimes, her bravery gets her into trouble. Before Dauntless, when she lived in Abnegation, she wasn't really allowed to speak her mind, and she couldn't just say what she wanted, or do what she wanted to do. I don't think that would be a good way to live, and I don't think I would want her to be that person, where she was limited to lots of things. I also like this about her, because everyone seems to have a place, but this is what really separates her from everyone else! This is what makes her so different, or at least that's what I feel makes her so different from everyone else. I think I'm a little bit like Tris in a way, because I don't really know exactly where I belong either. In school, everyone seems to be the prettiest, or the most popular, or the most athletic, and though I am athletic, I wouldn't say I was the most athletic. So, I'm still trying to find my place as well, but in a school perspective. So, those are the reasons why Tris is my favorite character.

3 comments:

  1. I commented on:
    Isabelle R.
    Amelia P.
    Abdiel D.
    Blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you describe the Tris! Explaining what makes her brave and what she is. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you described Tris and the reason you gave for liking her are really good reasons and your description really made me like her! Really awesome entry.

    ReplyDelete