Julia S. Blog: To Kill a Mockingbird: Week of 1/12/15

Thursday, January 15, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird: Week of 1/12/15

Prompt: What do you think is the most important difference between the written and filmed version? Provide evidence with specific details.

      This week we watched the film version of To Kill a Mockingbird. Though I missed what we watched Monday, I was still able to pick what I believed to be the biggest difference between the film version, and the actual novel. I actually believe there were two major difference but they very much intertwine with each other (you will understand much better after I explain.) I believe the largest differences are that, 1) the movie only took place over the course of a couple months, and novel took places over the span of 2-3 years! 2) Aunt Alexandra was not a character at all! These are two huge differences that effect a major theme in the novel: Coming of age/Growing up. This was the theme I focused on in my thematic essay, and Scout's maturity can be affected by both of these aspects.


     Looking at the time span of the film, it would not add up that Scout could mature that fast. Maturity and growing up doesn't just happen over night, or in this case, a couple of months. I would agree with the time span of the novel, that growth can be shown in a span of 2-3 years, but not a couple of months! How can you go from being an outspoken, immature, childish little girl at the beginning of summer, to an understanding, mature young lady in that same year, only towards the middle of autumn? Yes, a lot happened in those couple of months. Scout experienced the Tom Robinson trial as well as Tom's death, herself and her brother almost being killed, and Boo Radley coming out. Though, I think if the film would've taken place over a longer period of time, those events that Scout experienced would've been more spaced out, and we could've seen a more realistic growth of Scout.


     Now Looking at Aunt Alexandra, she played a key role in Scout's maturing as well. She really pushed for Scout to act more like a lady, as she was growing up. She was also a mother like figure that Scout was almost forced to look up to, as she at one point was living with Scout, Jem, and Atticus. Aunt Alexandra really pressured Scout into acting more like a lady, so she was more presentable, and represented herself better. At one point, we can see Aunt Alexandra pressuring Scout when Scout relays what Aunt Alexandra told her, and her ideas about that. Scout says, "I could not possibly hope to be a lady if I wore breeches; when I said I could do nothing in a dress, she said I wasn't supposed to be doing things that required pants." Scout did not like the idea of this, but if she didn't have this influence in her life
 pressuring her to be more like a lady, she may have never made the transformation, or at least as large of a transformation as she did, into a young lady. She began to care more about her appearance, and how she acted in front of others. We see this transformation when she says, "I carefully picked up the tray and watched myself walk to Mrs. Merriweather. With my best company manners, I asked her if she would have some. After all, if Aunty could be a lady at a time like this, so could I.” Scout is acting very lady-like at this time, conducting herself like her Aunt was! During this time, even though it was a very disappointing time (Tom Robinson had just died) she was acting courteous, and was being helpful, and she was even wearing a dress! She was being very mature, and taking after her Aunt! It was this part of her maturity that was really influenced by her Aunt, which is why I feel like her absence in the film makes Scout's transformation more unrealistic.

Comments: Jesus, Marisa, and Athziry.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great Job! :) You did a great job describing all the different parts. You also did an awesome job describing everything very thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete