Julia S. Blog: The Not So True Confessions of Montresor

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Not So True Confessions of Montresor

     He stared at me intensely; his large, dark eyes looking fiercely as if they could see into my soul! It was like he already knew what I'd done. He already knew I was guilty of murder, and he'd never met me. Maybe this lady will be next. You would never suspect an elderly woman to uncover the mystery of Fortunato's disappearance! I can't believe she would bring this information to the police! Can't you let it go, it happened fifty years ago for God sakes! I thought I'd be safe for sure, but unfortunately I was wrong. After I murdered Fortunato, I thought I'd covered up my tracks well enough so no one could follow them. Apparently, I had not. I just need to be confident in my argument, that's all. If I can just lie my way through, then I'll be safe. Oh no, he's writing things down on a notepad. He knows I'm thinking about lying. He can just tell. I should've never done anything to Fortunato. He did insult my religion, as he was a Mason, who didn't believe in God. I had to do something! He so badly offended myself and God, time and time again. He had to pay. I just need to get this interrogation over with. I need to stay undetected for my crime.
     "Hello Mr. Montresor, I'm Officer Colton Mordecai. I just have a couple of questions to ask you," he said in a very serious tone of voice.
     I cringed; he definitely wasn't here to mess around. 
     "Okay," I said, "What information can I fancy you with?"
     "To start off, what were you doing on the day that Fortunato seemed to go missing, during Carnival season?"
     "Well, I started the day celebrating, like everyone else. I was having an exceptional time, dancing, and drinking. Really enjoying. Though as it began to get later, I ended up bumping into my dear friend Fortunato."
     "Yes," said the officer, "and what were you discussing that caused you to leave the party? You did leave correct? We have a witness."
     "Yes, I did leave the celebration with Fortunato. Though, it was at his own will."
     "Oh was it now?
     "Yes, it was. I informed him that I had received a pipe of Amontillado that I believed to be inauthentic. With hearing this, he immediately fancied trying it. I did not want to bother him in his celebration of Carnival, but he insisted. As he is very respected for his wine expertise, I allowed him to come to the catacombs where I stored my wine."
     "If you were only going down to the catacombs for wine, how could Fortunato have possibly gone missing? Wouldn't you have brought him back out once you were finished tasting the wine? Our witness says that you went left with two, and came back with only one."
    "Well, that is true. But just keep this in the back of your mind; I warned him!"
    "Okay..."
    "As we traveled through the catacombs, I noticed that Fortunato had a terrible cough. I  asked him a number of times if we would like to go back out to the party, so he wouldn't have to suffer. He, time after time, said no. The nitre was what really did it."
     "What do you mean 'the nitre did it'?"
     "Well, nitre is is just another way of saying Potassium Nitrate, which is like a white, crystalized salt. The catacomb is encrusted with nitre, causing it to be very damp, and cold. This I knew well, would be detrimental to Fortunato's health, put he was very persistent in getting to the wine. His cough seemed to get worse as we continued."
     "So, the damp cold area mixed with Fortunato's cough..."
     "Well, it killed him! He stopped, out of nowhere, and grabbed his chest. I didn't know what to do. We were too far now in the catacombs to get help. Then he went into a coughing storm. He couldn't control it; couldn't breathe! Then he crumbled down to the ground, and lay there, clutching his chest. He was gone. I knew something was going to happen, but he tried to convince me otherwise."
     "So, he just stopped breathing? Why didn't you come and tell someone?!"
     "Well, I figured, because we were already in an underground cemetery, that I'd leave him to rest peacefully. I didn't want to stir up the celebration with such a horrible death! I'd planned on informing his family members later, but I just could never bear to speak of my dear friend's death."
     "Okay, I've heard enough. That's all of the questions I have. You answered them with the truth for all I know. Though something seems a bit suspicious."
     I cringed. He could sense it. The hairs on my spine tingled. My heart was pounding out of my chest. I though I might vomit. Sweat started forming on my forehead. I looked more guilty now than ever.
     "But, no other witnesses have come to us to prove your story otherwise. You're free to leave."
     He shook my shaky hand. I breathed steadily, and my heart rose in relief. Thank Heavens I was not caught. If I was, there's no telling the consequences! Now there's no way this police officer could possibly prove me wrong. It was a fluke that the woman saw me walk down to the catacombs with Fortunato. I planned my revenge so intricately that it was practically impossible to catch me. I Montresor, remain undetected yet another day for my crime of killing Fortunato.

     

7 comments:

  1. Cool, it makes me wonder how long he would go without getting caught! Good job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never really thought about Fortunato dying because of that cough. The questions were definitely a time where it could have cracked Montresor, but it didn't. I love the description given about Montresor when you could obviously see how anxious he was of getting caught. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is super interesting, I don't think anyone else from class took into consideration the nitre. I loved the dialect you gave Montresor and how you described how he actually felt. This was amazing! Stay fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting to see how one can twist the story that is so close to telling the truth but is still considered a lie. That is what Montresor did and he came out clean even after fifty years. Love this narrative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia,

    I loved your story. I think no one else in the class used the cough and the nitre as the cause of his death. You story was very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that big thing in "The Cask of Amontillado" was the fact that he did not repent. In a great way you showed the transition of feelings over time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent job! Very original, which I like.

    ReplyDelete