Julia S. Blog: Reflective Writing: 10/6/14

Monday, October 6, 2014

Reflective Writing: 10/6/14

Prompt: Compare your writing from your blogs in the past, to your most recent blog post, and explain how you have progressed.

     
     I believe that my writing has progressed from my blog post at this time last year, to my most recent post. One specific area that I feel I have progressed, is through length. I know that having a lengthier response isn't usually preferable to a shorter response, because it gets too overbearing and redundant. Though, with the extended responses, have come a deeper analysis of the text I am reading. I am using more details to support my claim, with a deeper insight of what is really happening in the story. Take one of my blogs from last year as example. In the blog, I am responding to the prompt, "What is the title of what you are reading? How does it fit the story?" In one part of my blog, I respond saying, "When Tris takes the test, there is not one clear faction she may belong in, but a few that she could possibly fit into. Because of this, Tris is considered divergent, she is developing in a different path than most people her age, and most people in general." I could've gone into more detail, and possibly used textual evidence. This would help further emphasize that Tris really fits the title of the story. I could've described the result of her test more thoroughly. This would let the reader know that she really did fit into the category of Divergent. Instead I just said that the test didn't show one specific faction that Tris fit into. In my most recent blog post, I responded to the prompt, "What Writer's Techniques have you noticed in the story you are reading?" One way I responded this prompt was, I said, "This is describing in great detail what the Colonel's Mothers trailer looked like, using comparisons, and connections. John Green, when not describing thoughts and actions through Miles "Pudge" Halters Point of view, he is using dialogue between the characters to convey information and thoughts. Though, he mainly uses long descriptions like the example I provided above (that's not even one of the longest descriptions John Green uses in his writing) when Pudge meets a new person, experiences a new setting (like the Colonel's Mother's trailer) and comes across new observations and thoughts. John Green, I can tell, likes to describe things in great detail, and I think he does this so he can get his point across." As you can see, my response to the question was clearly much lengthier than one of my older responses. Though this response is much more insightful. The blog answers the question with greater detail! I've tried not to be too redundant and just go on a tangent. Though with writing more knowledgeable and understanding blogs, I'm still working on keeping the length to a reasonable quantity. I need to work on keeping my writing more "under control" (if you know what I mean). I've seen improvement with my writing, but I still need to improve my tactics to make sure I can achieve the best blog I can. Maybe I can still keep some of my old techniques of my blogs, (keeping things decently short and to the point) to help make my blogs in the future, higher quality.

     I believe that my writing has also progressed from my blogs from last year, through word 
choice. I feel that I use more sophisticated words and phrases so my responses are more complex. In my blog from this time last year, the most advanced words I used were, outcast, and initiate. Those words aren't even very perceptive, or complex! In my most recent blog post, I used words like jovial, intellectual, fascination, intrigued, convey, witty, refined, philosophy, apprehension, and pursue. Some of these words I could even have chosen better alternatives for! In example, for witty, I could have used a word like waggish. This would challenge myself even more to write higher level. Considering I've been really focusing on word choice in my writing, I know I can personally see an improvement! I know that I have to start writing with a higher vocabulary, and I feel like I can see a big change from last year. I think overall my writing has become more elaborate, and mature. I know I still have a lot to work on as well! Even this blog, I feel, has somewhat improved from my last! At this rate, hopefully my blogs will become pretty stunning by the end of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment