Julia S. Blog: Looking For Alaska: Week of 9/15/14

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Looking For Alaska: Week of 9/15/14

Pages: 50-85
Prompt: Who is your favorite character? Who is your least favorite character? Explain.

Looking For Alaska has actually been really interesting so far, and I'm loving the actual story, and idea of the book, but surprisingly, I don't have a favorite character. This is kind of weird, because in most books, you can at least pick out one character that you find yourself relating to, or enjoying, or loving, or appreciating, or favoriting, but I just don't find any of them particularly interesting. I think the characters are all too common and predictable. Every book these days has a crazy, intelligent, witty, outspoken character like Alaska. Every book has a shy, timid, smart character like Pudge. Every book has a smart, insane, sly, trouble maker character like The Colonel. Obviously I'm kind of exaggerating, because we know that not every single book ever written has these types of characters, but I feel like most books today create characters like this to make the story more appealing. When the characters are all very intelligent, or are trouble makers and get themselves into sticky situations all of the time, or are mysterious and unpredictable, it makes the story more interesting, and it's working, because the story is very interesting, I just don't find myself extremely liking any character in particular. All of the characters remind me of like specific people that I already go to school with everyday. Their personalities are pretty similar, and I just want something new. A new type of character, a new type of story, something a little bit more out of the norm where characters are concerned.

     Though I don't particularly love any characters, if I had to choose my favorite, I would choose Alaska Young. Alaska is this care-free chick, who states her opinion whether you are going to like it or not. She is very witty and intelligent, and is great with people. She's kind for the most part, and is always there for her friends. Whether she has to come back at a teacher, or follow them straight out of the room, she supports and sticks up for her friends always. She's afraid of failing or disappointing her father, yet she is still rebellious and does things that she probably shouldn't be doing. She's always breaking the rules, but is careful about not getting caught. She's beautiful, and has all of the boys falling in love with her. She's a girl that most other girls want to be, and strive to be. Though, I think it's impossible to be as perfect as Alaska is depicted as.  She's also pretty good at getting into people's personal lives! She likes to be in the know, and if she finds out you have a problem or are in trouble, she's always there to help you out! Now, though I don't particularly love Alaska, the one thing I really do love about her is that she is so unpredictable, and always has something interesting to share with us! Like when she told Pudge that when she was like 5 or 6, she got to choose what she wanted her name to be! She's just a crazy, smart, beautiful, kind, carefree, independent girl, who is too perfect to be true, which is what I think, causes her to not be my favorite character, because she's not "real". Nobody is like that, but she's  just about as close to a favorite character as I have in this book.

     Now, I do actually have a least favorite character. My least favorite character is Miles "Pudge" Halter. He's just this really quiet, and shy boy who is interested in learning people's last words. He is a "goody goody" well kept, boy from Florida, with few friends, which explains why he is so timid. He goes to Culver Creek High School in search of this "Great Perhaps" and his life is turned around when he meets The Colonel, Alaska Young, and Takumi. Now, The Colonel, Alaska, and Takumi were already friends, and they became friends with Pudge, but they totally changed him! He went from going with the flow, being an admirable person and student, to following around the trouble-makers of the school, and doing things he shouldn't be like smoking, which is already illegal if your under 18, and he was doing it on the campus of the school, which is against the rules! Though, he's only doing this because his new friends were doing it. He just kind of goes along with what they're doing, and I can't stand when people are followers rather than leaders. I'm pretty sure pudge didn't believe in smoking before he met The Colonel, Alaska, and Takumi, but now all of sudden he's just deciding to do whatever they're doing, and doing whatever they want him to do. Alaska just set him up with a girlfriend! She didn't even see if her was interested in her! The Colonel just expects Pudge to follow him around wherever he goes without asking if he's actually interested in going first, and he does! Pudge just does whatever they want him to, and it's definitely changing him as a person. I just don't know if it's for the better, or for the worse. I think it's pretty ironic that pudge is my least favorite character though, because he is actually the main character in the story!




No comments:

Post a Comment