Julia S. Blog: Summer Reading Blog #4: The Candy Makers

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Summer Reading Blog #4: The Candy Makers

Pages: 1-452 (End)
Prompt: Who is your favorite character and why? 

     Well, when I started the book, my favorite character now, was my least favorite character. I thought that Daisy would be my favorite character because she was a girl and she was cheerful, and so kind, and daring, and fun. Though, once I read the story from Phillip's point of view, I realized that I liked him much better. He had a very hard life, and he gets through it and is so talented and actually very sweet when you get to know him, and he seemed very snotty before we got to know him! When he started the candy making competition, all he wanted was to win. He also acted kind of snotty so that people wouldn't underestimate him, because he actually wasn't experienced with Candy. He only joined the competition to win and he acted like he knew everything and was too good for everyone, when it was really only an act. That's why I really didn't like him at first, but once I began to learn more about his life, and how he lived, it made me actually like him! Also, as we got further into the story, his attitude changed dramatically, and that's when I realized, that I was actually starting to like him!

     Phillip actually went through a lot more than you would think, because he rarely shows emotion, so you wouldn't be able to tell. His Mom died when he was young, and his Dad only cared about winning, money, and getting ahead whether you had to cheat or not. He never really payed attention to Phillip. Also, Phillip's older brother had won many awards and first places in plenty of competitions and Phillip hated that his brother always won, and that nobody ever really cared that he won, because he never won as much as his brother. I also felt bad for Phillip because he had an AMAZING talent. He was extremely good at playing the violin, but he could never showcase his talent because he was afraid his father wouldn't appreciate it, and that's what made me feel the worst for him. I would hate not being able to show people that I Irish Dance because it's a talent that I love so much and take so seriously. Though, he's not just my favorite character because I felt bad for him and because I sympathize him. He's my favorite character for other reasons as well. 


     Phillip is also my favorite character because in the end, he wanted the best for the Candy Factory and the people in it. He decided to be as good a person he could be. He tried to make the best candy he could, not just to win, but to save the Factory. He wanted the best for all of the people around him; the new friends he made throughout the short time he spent at the factory, and I love that. I like the kind of people who go above and beyond to help others, even if they'd hardly just met. I think Phillip is honestly a good guy, no matter how snooty he was at the beginning of the book. I know and believe that it was all an act, and that he really does care about others. I only wish that he could have a better relationship with his father, because if they could just get along with each other, and his Dad would pay more attention to him, then his life would get a little bit better. Though, I believe that he's a strong person, and I think it's just amazing that he can be so kind and considerate when it seems like nobody would care anyways. He's just an overall incredible person, and those are the reasons why Phillip is my favorite character from "The Candy Makers!"

No comments:

Post a Comment