Julia S. Blog: Sparrow Road: Week of 11/11/13

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Sparrow Road: Week of 11/11/13

Pages: 1- 40
Prompt: Summarize what you've already read. After reading this, what do you wonder?

     I just started reading this book, and I'm already so interested with the story! It's about a girl named Raine, and her Mother. They have just moved to Sparrow Road from Milwaukee. Raine lived with her Mother and Grandfather in Milwaukee, where her Mother worked as a waitress at a diner, and her Grandfather owned a convenience shop. Raine liked to spend long afternoons at her Grandfathers shop, eating popsicles, and watching Brewers games on a small T.V. in the back room. One day, all of a sudden her Mom told her they were moving to Sparrow Road, so she could have a job taking care of, and waiting on Artists who lived there for the summer to get peace and quiet to work. 
     
     When they arrived at Sparrow Road, Raine realized some specific rules that she had to begin following. There was no talking from dawn to dinner on Monday's through Saturday's. You could only talk on a regular basis on Sunday's. There was no T.V., radio, or video game of any type. Raine and her Mother would be living in a very small cottage together, and Raine was not allowed to interact in any way with the Artists. She was to keep to herself pretty much the whole summer. Though, one day, Raine's mother went grocery shopping, (considering she would be cooking meals for the Artists), and Raine was not allowed to go with. So, while her mother was away, Raine decided to try and get to know the Artists. When she met them, she told them that her mother was gone and she needed some people to keep her company, but the Artists didn't take it as that her mother was only out for the afternoon. They considered her an orphan like "the others." Raine was confused, but went along with it. She got a tour of the Artists house, from one of the Artists himself, (Diego) and they found something very mysterious. An orphanage, in the house! They were not sure what it was for, or why it was there, but it sure was creepy, and that's where I left off.

     After reading that, there are a lot of things I am wondering, but four things in specific. The first thing I am wondering is, where is Raine's Father? They never really discuss him, or give any clue that she ever really had a Father, but I wonder where he may be. I mean she had to have a Father at one point, right? Or, if she never had a Father, why? Another main thing that I am wondering is, why did Raine and her mother move to Sparrow Road? Well, why did Raine's MOTHER want to move to Sparrow Road? (Raine never actually wanted to move, she was very content in her home.) Her Mother had a job as a waitress, and was bringing money in, and there was really nothing bad about their living situation. They lived with Raine's Grandfather, and everyone seemed content, and it seemed out of the blue that Raine's Mother wanted to up and leave. So, that's one question that is really on my mind.

     Another thing that I'm really wondering is, why do the Artists think that Raine is an orphan, or a child without a Mother? Also, what do they mean when they say, "She doesn't have a mother, just like the others?" What others are there? When Raine and her Mother arrived, there were no other people there. It was later at night, and very dark, but there still was not a person to be seen. Also, there weren't other people around in the morning either, so I'm extremely curious about these "other children" the Artists are talking about, and why they think Raine is one of them. One final thing that I am wondering after I read this was, what is the orphanage in the Artists house there for? I'm really wondering if it may relate somehow to the children that the Artists are talking about. Why would homeless children come to Sparrow Road, and why would that even be an option? Was Sparrow Road used for something else either than a place for Artists to go when they wanted some peace and quiet, in the past? So, that is the story so far, and some things that I'm wondering after reading that!


3 comments:

  1. When I first saw this book it kind of gave me the impression that the setting is in a countryside. In my opinion I think this looks like a great book and you gave a good explanation about the plot. What genre is this book? I think that artist think that Raine is an orphan because her mother might not spent too much time with her. Great job in summarizing the story. -Abdiel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have some of the same questions as you, what happened to her father, and why do the Artists think that she is an orphan? The first thing I thought of was maybe her mom has been hiding something from Raine for a long time? This book seems really good, and I think the whole class will enjoy it. This was a really amazing blog.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented on Isabela J's, Carlos's, and Amelia's blog.

    ReplyDelete