Julia S. Blog: Night: Week of 3/23/15

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Night: Week of 3/23/15

Pages: 1-46
Prompt: Pretend you are the main character. Write a letter to a close friend explaining or commenting on what you've recently experienced (as shown in the novel).

Dear Moishe the Beadle,
     If only I had believed what you'd said about the German Soldiers and their cruelty.  If only the rest of Sighet would've believed you too.  What I've seen and experienced over the last couple of weeks has been beyond words, and incredibly absurd.  I never would've believed babies were thrown up into the air and shot like a target, until now.  I witnessed with my own eyes babies and young children being thrown into thick, blazing flames.  How could anyone ever have the heart to murder innocent children who could've done little to nothing wrong in their entire lives? When I first entered Birkenau after we traveled for days in the crowded cattle train cars, I was separated from my mother and sisters, as all of the males and females were separated. I have not seen my mother or sisters since we were separated.  Then soldiers came around and started asking us our ages and a man told me to lie so I wouldn't be sent off to get killed right away.  I also lied and said that I was a farmer!  Little did I know that answer would get me sent to jump into a ditch filled with what seemed like eternal fire.  I was standing in a line with others, just waiting to jump into this pit of death, when a miracle occurred.
     Just when it seemed that the world would end, and I was approaching the flames, a soldier yelled out for me to turn left, and continue walking.  My father, being right behind me, had also been saved from burning to death, which seemed so impossible just seconds before.  I thought that was definitely going to be my time.  My time to die; to leave this world.  I was filled with fear, and anger.  It seemed as if He had not done anything to save me and my father.  I prayed in the temple everyday, and studied the Talmud and Kabbalah, and never lost faith in Him.  I always thought He would protect me from the dangers life would bring, but now, I'm feeling doubtful and uncertain.  
     After I escaped death, I was marched with the others to barracks where we were deprived of our clothing, and were left with only our belts and shoes.  Being completely naked around so many strangers was uncomfortable and and a very disturbing experience.  Though, it was the thing I was least concerned about.  I had almost just died, and watched others forced to kill themselves by the German soldiers.  I was not worried about my appearance anymore.  We were then shaved and all of the hair on our bodies was gone.  We were all just skin and bones, and had nothing left but each other.    We were then a day later taken to be "disinfected" and then sent to take showers to wash ourselves down.  I don't understand why we needed to be disinfected.  Anyone with a disease or serious illness was already sent to another part of the camp.  Though again, I didn't give it much thought.  All I could think about was how inhumanely and disgustingly we were being treated.  We were given extremely small rations in food and were beaten by the soldiers.  We would run naked in the freezing cold for long periods of time, and were not allowed to sit down but simply had to stand for extended periods of time in the cold, cramped, dingy, barracks. Then suddenly, things changed a little bit.
     Birkenau was part of Auschwitz, but we finally entered the main camp part of Auschwitz a couple days later.  It was so much better because we got better portions in food, nicer living conditions, and were not treated as harshly as we had been in Birkenau.  Though, now it has been 3 weeks, and my father and I, and the rest of the Jewish people that have traveled with us, have been transported to Buna. I have just arrived and sat down to write this letter.  Whether or not it will ever get to you, is another story.  I hope things are similar to how they were in Auschwitz here.  Maybe then I'll be able to survive until the end of the war.  I don't know what this camp has in store, but I hope to stay strong and keep fighting through the torture to make it out alive.
                                                                    Sincerely, Elie Wiesel

No comments:

Post a Comment