Julia S. Blog: The Book Thief: Week of 1/13/14

Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Book Thief: Week of 1/13/14

Pages: 1-20
Prompt: Draw a Picture of the Narrator in you story. Explain how and why you interpreted the narrator that way.

     In the story "The Book Thief," the narrator is Death, and this is how I would interpret what Death looks like. I would imagine it would have only eye sockets, but no eyes, only deep, black holes. I would also think that it would have a nose and mouth, but no nostrils, and the mouth wouldn't be able to be opened. I think of it this way because when you are dead, you can no longer breathe, so I would assume that Death can not breathe either, and you can only breathe through your mouth and nose. I think that Death's skin would be grey and lifeless, because I would picture Death, having all life sucked out of it, so even the skin color would be gone to a dull, mysterious grey. I think that Death would also have long thin arms, used for reaching deep into people bodies, and pulling out their souls to take else where. When Death comes over a person, it goes into their bodies, and takes out the soul, leaving the body there. I would think Death would bring the soul to some sort of afterworld, and then go out and repeat the process.

     I would also think that Death would wear a long, dark, and mysterious cloak. Though I would think death would be invisible, I think it would use the cloak to cover itself up, maybe keep all of its magical power. Death is a mysterious thing, there must be some type of magic involved and I think the cloak would be something to store the magic that Death has. I would also think that Death would be very thin. Death feeds on the dead souls of people, and brings them to the afterlife, but when he brings them there, he lets them go, and is once again starving. So, Death is always pretty thin (or at least I would think.) I also drew Death wearing a black and white striped shirt. I drew it this way because I was thinking about how people in jails, and prisons sometimes wear striped shirts that look like that (or at least that's how it's portrayed in books and movies) so I thought of Death as being a sort of prisoner, someone/something forced to do the job of bringing Death to people, and taking away their souls.I don't think someone would ever choose to be Death or bring Death to others, so I think of Death as sort of like a prisoner,  and I used the striped shirt to sort of represent that. So, that's how I pictured and interpreted the Narrator in "The Book Thief," Death.

5 comments:

  1. It's great (and brave) that you chose this book to read and blog about, because I know it's a long book, and sometimes that scares me. Your description of the drawing was very in depth, as was the rest of the blog. I agree with some of your thoughts on Death, they were well thought out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You explained your narrator very good in the drawing and in the blog. I also like much detail you put into explaining why you drew Death like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I really like how you capture everything with your picture

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented on:
    Elenia's
    Nikolas's
    and Emily's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blog this week! It is really interesting and I love how you described what was happening in your book. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete